A production by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor has had Type1 diabetes since she was 7 years old and recently helped craft a musical about children with different disabilities [and/or medical conditions if you prefer].

The actors in the musical version of “Just Ask” have disabilities and health issues such as autism and asthma, corresponding to those of their characters — a side of themselves the actors said they had not had the opportunity to show before onstage. Andrea Hobley, who plays Sotomayor in the production and has diabetes, said she likes the approach. “Each of us knows what it is like to grow up with a particular issue,” Hobley said. “It feels more authentic in the representation of it.”

"Of all my legacies, this is the one I’m most proud of,” Sotomayor told about 200 parents, children, actors and musicians gathered in a church hall to rehearse a musical adaptation of a children’s story she wrote. “You have brought to life a book that was in my head for over 35 years.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/08/28/sotomayor-supreme-court-justice-musical/

2 Likes