Abbott Freestyle and TSA

I fly quite a bit, (I have TSA Prechek) . Depending on the location, I usually stand in the metal detector line or ask for the manual TSA check.
Recently I had a bit of a problem with a TSA agent a a small airport that didn’t understand “I have a medical device in my arm, I can’t go through the millimeter wave full body scanner, can I go through the Metal Detector”?
The response was “You have to go through the body scanner”.
“No then I request a patdown”, She gave me a nasty look and at that point another agent walked over. This was the first time I had to take off my shoes, belt, open my laptop case.
When I mentioned I was prechek I was told since I asked for a patdown, prechek was no longer available to me. That was all new, so…
Since Abbott states they have no information concerning the sensor going through the Millimeter scanner, I ask if anyone has tried it and the results.
If there’s info for the mmwave scanners do affect a sensor then I may start a new sensor after TSA.
TIA,
Dave

1 Like

All manufacturers that I’m aware of Omnipod, Tandem, Medtronic, Dexcom, all of them say no baggage x-ray and no body scanner. I travel once a month for work and I just don’t typically have the time so I x-ray my pump with my carry on and if I need to go through the body scanner (scatter x ray) I just do it and have not had ANY problems with Tandem, Medtronic, or Dexcom. Sorry I have no Libre experience. IMO, Your choices are to follow the rules or take your chances. I’m afraid you do have to pick one or the other.

I just boarded a flight to Amsterdam, I’m writing while seated on a 767.

Safe travels! :peace_symbol::shamrock:

1 Like

As far as I am aware, the small scanner that we put our personal items and carry-on bags through is an x-ray scanner, some call it CT scanner but that is still an x-ray device.
I’ve carried an extra sensor in my carry-on for 7 years, never had a problem.
My concern is the “Put your hands over your head” mmwave full body scanner, IIRC scatter x-ray is not the same as mmwave.
Thanks and Fly safe,
Dave

When I got my first insulin pump there was some official documentation you could carry to present, explaining that it was a medical device and perhaps warning against scans. I haven’t traveled by air in ages so have not had to deal with this but I wonder if that’s an option?
Did you try asking for a supervisor? I’ve heard that has helped some passengers on the same situation.

Ahhh yes the first time I wore a sensor through TSA, I had an agent with Napoleon syndrome.
I instantly asked for a supervisor, that helped.
But since then I believe most agents are aware of medical devices. I’ve only had 2 issues that the 1st and the recent one in Melbourne FL.
I’m just hoping to be able to walk thru a full body scanner with a sensor on and if they get an “alert” we’ll go from there. But of it’s known to ruin a sensor or cause a accuracy problems, that’s good information.

The FDA approved Abbott’s change to the medical warnings April 2024.

510(k) Premarket Notification
Purpose for Submission:
Modification to add a new compatible app (FreeStyle Libre App) as an alternate primary display; removal of labeling contraindications against MRI and CT scan, removal of caution and warning against X-ray

I admit that’s all about medical x-rays which are different but I think it’s going to be as close as we’re going to get to Abbott being able to say it’s fine. There’s too much variety in airport scanners for them to be predicted theoretically with accuracy

I’ve heard from others that requesting a pat down negates the benefits of TSAPre. I flew international last month, since I don’t enjoy enhanced screening I went through the body scanner at SFO telling the TSA person I have a medical device (dexcom g6) on my arm. When I was waved out he said to me it didn’t alert on the device. For the next three times through body scanners I didn’t say anything and neither did security in two other countries.

Way back when I was on the Libre 10 day I got a replace sensor message while on a plane. No problem, got home , called for a replacement, the first rep tried to deny the replacement because I was over the altitude limit. :confused: Hung up, called back, didn’t mention plane, got replacement but good grief.

2 Likes

I have a Libre 2 and go through the body scanner, I let them know I have the sensor in my arm, but they let me go through the scanner anyway and then each time they swabbed my hand for explosive residue, but that’s it and I’m on my way.

I searched all over the Internet trying to find more information before my writing post, I didn’t find that thing about April of 2024.
Good information
Thank you

More good info, thx Fergie.
No more thinking about it, I’m going to go through the scanner next week see what happens.

1 Like

Hi Dave. I wear a Dexcom CBGM and Omnipod 5 pod and carry the associated equipment. While I have most airline personnel friendly and helpful, I encountered difficult TSA agents in Mexico and one airport in Israel. I find it helpful, if they do not understand English, to have prepared on my I phone, in google translate, the appropriate language in which I explain my T1D equipment. In Mexico it made no difference. If you want to follow what you are told by the Company for your equipment, call and get the information now. But I have to say that no matter what I have been told regarding mine, there are times I have had to go through the body scanner, and it made no difference. You have to decide which risk makes you calmer.

Hi Lee,
Thanks for the info.
I haven’t traveled out of the US since I retired. Now my travel is usually between Ohio and Florida.
I’ve had minor issues just a handful of times, all but 1 easily solved and that was early-on in TSA.
Now this recent one in Melbourne, FL really caught me by surprise. FYI, in that airport they don’t even have a dedicated prechek line, they hand you a large yellow card to indicate your precheck when they check you boarding pass & ID.
The next agent pointed to an area where there were 2 different “lines” (I got in the wrong line). IMO instead of simply explaining herself clearly she decided to talk to me like I was 5 years old.
I commented “Whow I’m precheck” and she didn’t like my responding to her, her response was “That doesn’t matter”.
I decided to just let it go.
After reading the comments provided here, I will just go thru the full body scanner and hopefully have as good a luck as you folks had.

Thanks to All,
Dave

Hi All,
Just to wrap-up this topic.
I flew through 2 airports the past 2 weeks, started with a new sensor, I decided I would go thru the full body scanner, ha
The MLB airport was only using the metal detector.
On the 14th day, at CLE airport “finally a chance to go thru the full body scanner”.
No, the line for the body scanner was backed up, I chose saving time over testing the scanner.
There’s always next time.
Be Safe

I use Dash Pods and have traveled with both G6 and G7. At first, I followed the guidance manufacturer guidance, then after a couple of trips experiencing widely varying TSA checks…including one delay for nearly 45 minutes at Dulles near Wasington, DC. … decided to risk it everywhere. My results after mutiple trips, varying equipment, varying locations has been: No problem with any of the equipment.

I think the manufacturers that say “No!” Do it out of an abundance or caution OR just haven’t tested the equipment and it’s easier for them to tell people “No!”

That said, here’s the downloads from the manufacturer sites regarding traveling thru airport security as of 8 Sep 2024:
Omnipod: Traveling with Omnipod®: Tips for Type 1 Diabetes UK

Can Omnipod go through airport security scanners?

Omnipod Pods, PDMs and Controllers can safely pass through airport x-ray machines.

The Pod, PDM and Controller can tolerate common electromagnetic and electrostatic fields, including airport security and mobile phones.

Pods are safe to be worn through airport scanners.

For glucose sensors, refer to the individual manufacturer’s guidance, as they may not be able to go through x-ray scanners.

If you’d rather not go through the full-body scanner wearing your devices, you can request a manual check, also known as a pat down. Your devices, and your hands, may be tested separately (swabbed)4 - but this is quick and there is nothing to worry about.

====================

Tandem: https://support.tandemdiabetes.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500011452342-Traveling-with-an-insulin-pump-from-Tandem-Diabetes-Care

Traveling with an insulin pump from Tandem Diabetes Care

Traveling with an insulin pump from Tandem Diabetes Care

Download a copy of the TSA Travel Letter >

Can I take my pump through the full-body scanner or put the pump through the luggage X-ray machine at the airport?

Tandem pumps are designed to withstand common electromagnetic interference from airport metal detectors, but should not be exposed to X-ray screening, including whole-body imaging scanners and baggage X-ray machines. Notify the security agent that your pump should not be exposed to X-rays and request an alternate means of screening. (e.g. pat down or disconnect at site and ask for hand inspection of device.)

When disconnecting, be sure to only disconnect at the infusion site, not at the tubing lock connection. Disconnecting at the tubing lock connection could result in air in your tubing which could compromise insulin delivery.

What about other security screening devices?

• Metal detector: YES. Ok for Tandem Pumps. Notify security agent in advance that you are wearing a pump, since the pump will be detected.
  • Baggage X-ray machines: NO. Notify the security agent that your pump should not be exposed to X-rays and request an alternate means of screening. (e.g. pat down or disconnect at site and ask for hand inspection of device.)
  • Full body scanners: NO. Although the newer models of these scanners are not X-rays, we have not tested Tandem pumps with these devices. We recommend requesting an alternate means of screening. (e.g. pat down or disconnect at site and ask for hand inspection of device.)

============

Medtronic: Traveling with an Insulin Pump | Medtronic

Airport security

Insulin pumps are designed to withstand common electromagnetic interference, including some airport security systems. Taking an insulin pump through airport security is quite common. It is always a good idea to carry the Airport Information Card for your MiniMed™ 780G system, MiniMed™ 770G system, MiniMed™ 670G system, or your MiniMed™ 630G system (located in the front pocket of your user guide) when you are traveling.

Because travel rules are subject to change, it is advisable to check with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) before traveling. You can find TSA information here or by calling 1-866-289-9673. International passengers should consult their individual air carriers for international regulations.

• Your pump should not go through the X-ray machine that is used for carry-on or checked luggage.
  • The full-body scanner is also a form of X-ray. If you choose to go through the full-body scanner, you will need to disconnect and remove your insulin pump, and, if using continuous glucose monitoring (CGM), remove your sensor and transmitter prior to the scan.
  • Your infusion set should be disconnected at your site when going through the full-body scanner.
  • To avoid removing your devices, you should request an alternative screening process that does not use X-ray.
  • Your insulin pump, infusion set, reservoir, and CGM system can withstand exposure to airport metal detectors used at airport security checkpoints.

===============

Dexcom: Flying, TSA & Airport Security with Dexcom G6 CGM | Dexcom

G6: https://www.dexcom.com/dexcom-airport-and-travel-guide-flying-dexcom-cgm security equipment to avoid

Be sure to follow the instructions in the Dexcom G6 user guide. If you don’t, you could have a severe low or high glucose event.

Click here to download our “Notice of Medical Device” letter. This can be filled out by your physician and presented to airport security to better explain your Dexcom CGM System.

When wearing your G6, ask for hand-wanding or a full-body pat down and visual inspection instead of going through the Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) body scanners (also called a milimeter wave scanner).

Don’t put your Dexcom G6 CGM System components through x-ray machines. Place all components in a separate bag before handing over to the Security Officer. For other medical supplies, such as medications, meters, and strips, check manufacturer instructions or the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website.

G7: https://www.dexcom.com/faqs/can-i-wear-dexcom-g7-through-security-or-while-flying

Can I wear Dexcom G7 through airport security or while flying?

At security checkpoints

You can wear your Dexcom G7 sensor when going through walk-through metal detectors and Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) body scanners. Alternatively, you may ask for hand-wanding or a full-body pat-down and visual inspection. Ask for visual inspection of any part of your Dexcom G7 in the baggage scanning machine.

Most security check points require you to temporarily give up your smart device* and receiver.

Dexcom G7 is safe to go through luggage scanning and will not affect product performance. To help you prepare for airport security checks and screening procedures for air travel, review any relevant airport websites and travel updates before your trip.

Click here to download our “Notice of Medical Device” letter. This can be filled out by your physician and presented to airport security to better explain your Dexcom CGM System.