Diabetes and subsequent fatal heart attack

Dear forum members—

I will be leaving this forum in a short time. My T1 husband of 46+ years, and diabetic for 54 years, suffered a fatal heart attack on December 29, 2023. I wanted to thank you all for your advice and support over the last several years. It means the world to have people who truly understand the daily rituals we all were involved with. My husband Dale was seemingly healthy, thin, had exceptional numbers and readings, was compliant with all of his doctors, and ate healthful meals. But diabetes is an insidious disease and takes its toll within the body. I do believe he wasn’t always truthful with how he was feeling after he got Covid in November 2020 (pre-vaccine). He suffered breathing issues and chest tightness, which worsened over the past three years. I would like to let everyone know to never discount how you feel and to add up your symptoms so they make sense to your doctors. Perhaps this could prevent another tragedy like mine.

I would also like to give a shout out to the company, Skin Grip. Dale used their overpatches for his Dexcom and they are nothing short of amazing. They allowed him to swim endlessly with our twin grandkids and work hard on our yard during summer heat. In preparation for G7, on December 12 I had ordered two packets of 20 from the company directly. After Dale died, I emailed to see if they were returnable. Heidi at Skin Grip responded with deep sympathy, and told me to donate them to a needy person, and they refunded the cost immediately. It didn’t end there. Last night, in my empty sad house, the doorbell rang. Flowers were delivered and when I opened the arrangement, there was a card from the Skin Grip team, sending me their deepest condolences. I went off the rails, and cried until there was nothing left inside. So for those of you who think this world is lacking in compassion, the team at Skin Grip went over the top. Please consider using their products…they are one in a million.

With that, best wishes to all diabetics out there. You’ve got this. :heart:

Stephanie

Update: January 9, 2024:
Last night, as I was continuing to wade through the legal mumbo jumbo that surrounds a death, my doorbell rang…again. It was an Amazon delivery person leaving a box on my porch. I wasn’t expecting anything, but when I opened the box, this was inside. Honestly, I started crying all over again. The Skin Grip team has gone beyond the call of duty. For a small business that was just started in 2016, their compassion and sincerity knows no bounds.
Love and Live Fearlessly.

13 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to write and let us know. Sending love and prayers for comfort. :broken_heart::pray:t5:

3 Likes

Stephanie @Stephanie_Y thank you for sharing this difficult story with us, your companions in the diabetes community.
Know that my prayers and love will be with you.

2 Likes

@Stephanie_Y I am very sorry for your profound loss. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

2 Likes

My deepest condolences. I’m sorry for your loss.

Amazing from Skin Grip. I will keep them in mind.

2 Likes

Hello Stephanie,
I am so sorry for your loss and will be praying for you and your family. My son is now 15 years old and has T1 (diagnosed at 13). It is the most frustrating disease with so many variables it sometimes seems impossible to keep good numbers. Even though we’ve only been on this T1 roller coaster for almost three years, I know type one affects those of us who love someone with type one almost as much as the person diagnosed. I wish I knew the right words to offer some comfort to you. I also believe sometimes there just are no right words. I am truly sorry and want to say that even though the grief gets overwhelming for you, you are never alone. I have faith that God will comfort all those who ask. Plus you can always come back here if you need another listening ear or someone to talk to.
We are also firm believers in the SkinTac over patches…and if they can keep a dex on an active, sweaty, hormonal teenage boy, it’s definitely a great product! Not to mention somewhere there’s a SkinTac representative(s) with a big heart! The flowers are beautiful! An A+++ company in my book! Thank you for encouraging all of us even in the midst of your hurt. It means more than I can express. Love and prayers, Joanna -Warrior Mom

4 Likes

Bless you, Joanna, for your kind words. I met my husband when he was 18 and times were so different back then. My mother even warned me that I would be a nursemaid by the time I was 30 if I married him. It was scary hearing that, since she was a medical assistant. Technology came through, however, and from the first BG testers to pumps to CGMs…my husband proved her wrong by many decades! I would like to think I was part of that success story and every week he told me he wouldn’t be alive if it were not for me. :heart: Continue with being that mom warrior…no mom I know ever gives up a fight when it comes to loved ones! Best wishes to your active son and your loving family. He is indeed a lucky kid!

3 Likes

Stephanie, I am sorry for your great loss. You are a really special person to share this lovely message. I am sure Dale would not be surprised. Good luck to you. Please check in now and then if it helps.

2 Likes

so very sorry for losing your life partner, nothing is harder. Hope you find something to help fill the void soon.

1 Like

Deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved husband

2 Likes

Hello Stephanie,

So sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers. Please let us know if we can be of any help and know our thoughts are with you!

~Pam K.

2 Likes

Peace to you during this time. My prayers are with you and all of our hearts are heavy.

Blessings,

Susie

2 Likes

@Stephanie_Y Stephanie, I am so sorry for your loss! I would also like to thank you for the honesty in your post and I know that you were truly a main reason Dale lived a healthy, happy life.

2 Likes