Questions regarding my childs dexcom

Hello,im just reaching out to other parents of kiddos with type 1D! I honestly feel exhausted, alone,overwhelmed! My daughter’s dexcom just keeps saying sensor error, comes back on,sensor error again, this is the 2nd sensor that were having this same problem. I contacted dexcom, theyll send out a new sensor, but im thinking do i need to start using a different injection site on her,we always use her arms because thats where shes comfortable. Were 2 years into this,and its something different everyday, i just get overwhelmed! Does anyone else have these issues? I feel like shes missed so much school due to this,thanks!

Hello @Rankin78 welcome to Type One Nation. I use Dexcom. Sometimes there is just a run of bad sensors, nothing in particular you are doing wrong. I will tell you that for the most part, I clean the transmitter contacts with alcohol and let it dry, and I make sure I hear the 2 clicks when installing the transmitter on to the sensor. You are doing the right thing, Dexcom has replaced every bad sensor I ever complained about. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

@joe hey thank you very much for your response and what you do with yiur dexcom! Yes we have had a bunch of bad sensors, but it was never like this,but i did call dexcom, they’re sending a replacement. They are always good about that! Can i ask are you able to change the sensor before the 10 days are up? Sometimes weve had issues with the sensor and transmitter coinciding at the same time! Just curious if we can change it before 10 days,i cant continue with it doing this till Friday, my daughter has missed so much school already! Thanks!

@Rankin78 It’s no problem at all to change the sensor before the 10 days. From the receiver (Dexcom receiver or your cell phone ). Settings > Stop sensor. Then replace the sensor. I’ll do that if I’m going to need to change it and it’s inconvenient to do so right at the end.

If you are worried about the transmitter, The transmitter will tell you when you can’t restart it and then you change both. The transmitter will not allow you to start a new sensor if it thinks it can’t make 10 days.

@joe hey thank you very much for your help ! Every piece of information is so helpful, so thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Rankin78 . I think Dexcom is supposed to replace if the sensor does not last 10 days - including if the tape starts coming off early. Call them whenever you have issues. When I’ve done that they asked me some questions and made suggestions of things that might help with future sensors. And they can document for “product improvement.” The G7 is the next Dexcom in line. I don’t know when it will be out but hopefully it will work better for you if you choose to upgrade.

@wadawabbit thank you much Dorie for all your tips,its greatly appreciated! Yes whenever the g7 becomes available in the US, we definitely are onboard with trying it,i hear its alot better, at least thats what my daughter’s endocrinologist says! They were saying it was coming out in eatly 2023, so fingers crossed!! Thank you again you have been very helpful!!

Sorry for responding so late, but I used to have a lot of sensor errors when I used my camera to input the sensor code. I don’t know what it is, but manually typing in the code has caused much less sensor errors.

We use to get a lot of sensor error, but ever since we manually type in the sensor code and wipe down the transmitter terminal with alcohol wipes and dry with a lint free cloth, we almost never have a problem. Others seem to have similar experiences, so I thought I’d chime in and confirm my experience.

Hi again @Rankin78. From Dexcom’s website:
Dexcom G6 sensors may be inserted on the abdomen, the back of the upper arm (indicated for patients age 2 years and older) or the upper buttocks (ages 2-17 years). Sensor placement is important and you will want to change your insertion site with each sensor. Using the same site too often might not allow the skin to heal, causing scarring or skin irritation.
I’m just wondering what your daughter finds uncomfortable about other sites? Maybe moving out a little higher or lower, or further to one side than she had it before, would be better? If you don’t mind my asking, how old is your daughter?