CGM Question - Want to Update Phone

Hello, I currently use the Freestyle Libre 3 and have a Samsung Galaxy S21 phone. I am wanting to upgrade my phone since it’s 3 years old, but don’t see the Samsung Galaxy S23 or S24 listed as compatible phones for the app. How long does it usually take for the CGM manufacture or the phone manufacture to get the updated app? Thanks.

1 Like

The phones have to adapt to the devices and not vice versa. You could call check Freestyle’s website or contact their tech support to see if they know when Samsung might be updated - occasionally an anticipated comparability date is posted.

1 Like

Hi @SherryP this is 100% on the CGM manufacturer to test their (the CGM manufacturer with the CGM software) to test their software on the different phones as well as the different versions of Android OS. You can try to call Abbott, but I doubt they will give you a direct answer. Here’s my opinion: go ahead and buy the new phone. Install the software and see if it works. If it does not, you still have you old phone to use as the Libre reader until Abbott gets around to updating their software. Your old phone will still work as a WiFi terminal, even without cellular service. Good luck.

There are reports of people having trouble with the Libre 3 and Galaxy S24 and S24+ on reddit. Some people with the S24 Ultra say it works and some say they have to start sensors with the reader. I can’t tell for sure, its like lunchtime in an elementary school over there.

Unlike the Dexcom which just requires bluetooth the Libre 3 still requires NFC to start the sensor and pair the sensor’s bluetooth to your phone. NFC comes in lots of different flavors so compatibility isn’t guaranteed.

I still remember the first time I went to disneyland with a phone that could read the libre I had at the time. Not having the lump of a reader in my pocket was a game changer.

1 Like

To add to what @spdif mentioned - if you try it and and find it’s not working, try resetting the network settings on your phone: I was having trouble with my iPhone and Apple recommended I try it - and it worked like a charm. And don’t worry - this will not wipe out your phone. Just make sure you select that specific option from the choices in the menu - you can Google the instructions for Android.
If my phone is acting “glitchy” a network reset usually solves a multitude of problems.That may not be the case here but it’s worth a try and you’ll know if it’s an actual comparability issue.
If you need to replace your current phone and find out the software doesn’t work yet, at least you can use your reader - not as convenient but at least it’s something.

1 Like

Hi Sherry, Abbott publishes this info- see: Mobile Device & OS Compatibility (freestyleserver.com)

The safest thing is to get the Libre 3 reader device, as I’ve found that Abbott/Libre seems to always be far behind in updating their App to the latest software versions on the smartphones. Some people say the phones work regardless, but I’m not comfortable taking any chances so I just use the reader. You’ll need a prescription & it should be covered by your insurer if they’re covering the L3 sensors.

1 Like

FDA Clears Reader for Abbott’s FreeStyle Libre® 3 System (prnewswire.com)

1 Like

Thank you for the infor, Joanne. I will have to check with my insurance company to see if they will cover it. I guess my endo would have to write a prescription for it?

Thanks, Joe! That sounds like what I want to do. I can get the phone I am wanting to upgrade to, the Samsung Galaxy 24 and get $400.00 off the price, up until 3/31.

1 Like

Yes Sherry you’ll need a prescription for the Libre 3 Reader.

I haven’t had any issue with Samsung phones. When I started on the Libre 3 the phone I had then was a Samsung Galaxy A52. It was not on the list from Abbott but it worked just fine. In November last year I upgraded to a Samsung Z Flip 5 which also was not on the list. Any of the premium Samsung phones (S23/S24/Z Fold or Z Flip) should not have any issue as they would all have the latest and greatest wireless connection capabilities.

Thank you, Jeff! I see my endo in 2 weeks so I will also check with her.