Help with back up plans for pump malfunctions/failures

Hi Everyone,
I currently have a TSlim X2 pump with G7 CGM. I’ve had some panic moments when my pump seemed to malfunction which made me think of what to do in case I need a back up plan for pump failures? Interested to read what everyone does if you have to go to MDI quickly after a pump issue? Thanks for the help and ideas.

1 Like

hi @DFBB

If everything goes sideways,
I have 2 old Medtronic pumps with reservoirs and infusion sets.
I have a phone backup which consists of a compatible smartphone that only needs a sim card.

I have a car battery on trickle charge that can power my device recharge needs for a week. (I have it in an ammo box with 2 automotive receptacles (they used to be called cigarette lighter receptacles) so I can plug in various devices and I have a 100W inverter to plug anything else in.

I have a generator capable of backing up 80% of my house.

And for a total zombie apocalypse, I have a bottle of lantus in my fridge and syringes in my go bag.

No I would default to the medtronic pump first. then MDI

1 Like

I use Omnipods and my refills come while I still have a few pods left. But I do keep a supply of pens with basal and bolus insulins in case I need them or want to take a pump break. I use them so rarely I need to check in with my doctor about the basal - I see my endo tomorrow so thank you for reminding me to ask!

Dianne @DFBB, the BEST backup plan for pump failure is one that fits YOUR capabilities and available resources - and where you are when your pump is no longer serviceable.

My thoughtsfor the ultimate backup plan is to review in my head the very basics for diabetes management, that is to effectively shift to MDI; this will work when traveling and not at home where my reserve t-Slim and MiniMed pumps are on the closet shelf and a couple battery back-up devices are handy.

Periodically, I look at the t-Slim history and I know my average basal usage for the last 7, 14, and 30 days - I would give myself about 10% more background [not long-acting] insulin by injection once each day. For meals, I would, at least initially, keep the I:Cr for the different times of day.

Thanks for the reminder - next weel I’ll now remember ask the doctor for a background insulin prescription.

I have several old Tandem pumps that are still useable and could use them but my go to is MDI. At home I also have my insulin, pump supplies, extra insulin syringes, alcohol wipes, CGM supplies, extra glucometer and strips, glucose, glucagon, GVOKE and several FRIO Cooling Wallets.
Some years ago we had a bad storm in our area and because of a long power outage I lost a couple of months worth of insulin. When I learned about the cooling wallets (pouches) I tried one and used it when traveling on my motorcycle in the summer (from near Kansas to Mexico and back.) I have also used mine in the Kalahari desert (Africa) and the Mojave desert (US) and never spoiled any insulin.
I now try to keep several Frio’s at home so that if we experience another serious power outage I can protect my insulin. The product has worked well for me as long as I followed their instructions (YMMV). The pouches must be able to “breathe” to work. To confirm to myself whether the cooling pouch worked I placed an old fashioned fishing thermometer inside the pouch to quickly and easily check the temperature inside the pouch while I was outside in the summer heat. (Perhaps that was a little OCD from all the years I worked in R&D.) Once I was convinced the pouch worked I placed my insulin inside a zip lock bag (in case a vial broke) and placed it inside the pouch when I traveled for work.
I also have some extra batteries and solar panels for camping which could be utilized in an emergency to charge my pump. In case anyone is wondering, I do not have any affiliation with Frio nor do I own any stock in the company.
I have had a very good experience with the product. Especially in the desert where there was not any refridgeration. I only had to have enough water to soak the cooling pouch (wallet)every few days and if push came to shove the water did not have to be potable for the cooling to work.
It comes down to doing what you know you can safely do for yourself.

We also keep a lot of packaged food with enough carbs to bring me out of a low if necessary. I keep some protein bars in my carry on bag, suitcase and even my everyday gear that I carry with me fishing, biking, walking, etc.
Composed

There are sleeves you can get to protect your visits of “liquid gold” if your pouches have an open design that will fit them.

These are foam and cover the whole bottle ( there are also have a cutout on a side so you can see what insulin is in it, but I think these are safer). I found them on Amazon.

These are more heavy duty and you chose your own color combos. The small business that makes them has designed ones to fit various bottles. I found them on Etsy.