Introductions - Introduce yourself

Hi @Fergie . Wanted to let you know I’ve been reading your comments, despite the time lag😊. May I ask where you’re located?
Looking forward to your contributions.

Hi, it is so nice of you to reach out to me. I have never been a part of a group like this. I live in Florida. Tell me about yourself. Because I’ve been so private with my disorder, I’m excited to know about others. Again, thank you. John Ferguson.

I’m in the DC area and have been taking insulin since 1963. This great new concept of multiple daily injections cake about about the time I graduated from came (or at least that’s when I first started), along with home BG meters which like many things were big and clunky to start. I got my first pump when I was in my mid 30s - a Minimed 504, and I stuck with Minimed for several years but mutt last one was their 507c so Inever tried their CGM. While I was on that one I heard about a new player in the pump market called Tandem so I switched to that, and somewhere in there I started using Dexcom’s CGM. I liked Tandem but decided to switch to Omnipod a couple of years ago and that’s what I’m on now.
I’m not secretive about my diabetes but don’t share it with a lot of people either - there are people I worked with for years who didn’t know, and others I told about early on. I guess it’s just a question of comfort, or if someone asked either because they saw me using my pump or checking my CGM, or because they saw the device and asked. They’re good conversation starters if that’s what you need😊.
That said, nothing wrong with being more private about it. In most ways I’m generally a very private person so I definitely get that.
I’m glad you found our group and am looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
PS - I hope Debbie didn’t do too much damage where you are.

Hello @Fergie first - welcome to Breakthrough T1D, also, as a matter of housekeeping, I had to move this conversation off the OP topic. because it was off topic.

Joining in this conversation: I’m Joe, volunteer moderator, member of this community for more than 15 years, and T1D for 45 years as of this fall. I design and build stuff and travel the world. Im also a dad and been married for 19 years. I learned how to control diabetes using regular and NPH made from pig and cow pancreases and didn’t have a home blood sugar meter because they weren’t invented yet, but today I do have a fancy G7 and a newer insulin pump. We’re all glad you are here, as a matter of community standards we share from our experiences, and try not to diagnose or offer medical advice. welcome to the family.

I’m here again John @Fergie and will add to my introduction - I trust that you did receive the private message.
I’ve been living with diabetes since tha mid 1950s and somehow survived and grew in my diabetes management through many astonishing “Breakthroughs”. Began with the release of an animal derived NPH insulin, progressed through the rDNA insulin formulations developed in the US Space Station to the now widely used analog insulin formulations. I have been fortunate enough to have been invited to participate in several diabetes trial projects and really pleased with the end results of four of these projects the proved to greatly help many/most people now living with diabetes.
I was really private about my diabetes condition when younger after being fired from my first job after leaving college om 1960 for listing “diabetes” on my medical insurance application form. Over the years, at first very cautiously, I became more open about sharing and now I “sing diabetes” from the rooftops. Like @Joe, for the past 10 years I’ve been a volunteer moderator for this Forum.

The moto I adopted several years ago has been to live a full, active, enjoyable, and productive life and make diabetes fit in and not hinder.

1 Like