Snorkling with TSlim pump

I am going on vacation and will be snorkling in the ocean for several hours at a time. I have ordered waterproof case for the pump. Any suggestions for keeping the CGM in place and transmitting to the pump?

The CGM will (most likely)not transmit to the pump underwater. Low power Bluetooth will not travel through water. Snorkeling is such high exercise, you might want to start in the 160-180 and take breaks (so you can reconnect to your CGM) and check blood sugar. Good luck!

1 Like

If you want to use a tape I use Simpatches and find them very durable although I’ve never used them in the ocean. For additional protection you could try an armband like the ones runners use.

I defer to @joe about transmission in water (or lack thereof) but hopefully those items will keep it in place for when you’re back on dry land. Have a blast!

I usually disconnect my pump while snorkeling. Don’t want to loose my pump plus because it’s so much exercise I tend to go low so my pump will just cut insulin for the duration of the exercise anyways. Like Joe suggested, I usually try to jump in the water with a blood sugar >120.
I typically take a break every now and then to get a snack/check my blood sugar (I haven’t had much luck with my CGM transmitting under water)/take insulin if needed. It’s also really hard to hear CGM alerts when you’re underwater and engrossed in the ocean so I’d recommend taking a few little breaks if you can’t feel your blood sugars very well. Usually I feel very weak and sort of sleepy if I go low while swimming.
Sometimes I just switch back to shots for the day if I know I’m going to be in and out of the water a lot. I take like 75% of my normal Lantus (basal) dose. That way I don’t have to worry about the pump at all. I’ve lost quite a few pump sites while snorkeling so you should definitely put a patch on your pump site about 12-24 hours before you jump in the water!
Annoying part of living with diabetes but oh well.

Here’s some official info from Dexcom’s website (italics are mine):

Can I get Dexcom G7 wet?

The Dexcom G7 sensor is waterproof up to 8 feet (2.4 meters).* You can also get the sensor wet while bathing, showering, or swimming. The Dexcom G7 receiver is not waterproof but is splash resistant.
If you’re in or near water, your compatible display device† may need to be closer than 20 feet (6 meters) to get sensor readings. If you’re in water, you may not get sensor readings until you get out. The patch stays on longer if kept dry.

Is Dexcom G6 waterproof?

The Dexcom G6 sensor and transmitter are water-resistant and may be submerged under eight feet of water for up to 24 hours without failure when properly installed. However, for the sensor to be water-resistant, the transmitter must be installed properly.
*Keep in mind that Bluetooth connections do not work as well in water. For this reason, try to keep your transmitter and compatible smart device* in close range of each other if you are swimming or showering.
*The Dexcom G6 receiver is not water-resistant or waterproof and can be damaged if moisture gets inside it.

I SCUBA dive with my transmitter on. I’ve gone to a 95 foot depth with no problem as far as the transmitter is concerned. My Tslim connects right back up once I get in range of the pump. However, I do not take my pump (for obvious reasons).

I agree with joe and Lise - leave it off. SCUBA isn’t even as much activity as snorkeling, but I always make sure to go in a little high (>180 is my target - I don’t have an easy option to return to my pump once I’m underwater and the last thing I want is to go low.) I usually come out fine after about an hour of diving. And I always keep Quaker Oats Bars in the car just in case I come out low. (We mostly shore dive in Bonaire, so it’s kind of like snorkeling for the entry and exit.)

Thanks for all who threw out ideas. I think I will return the waterproof pump case and go with high BG level to start and pop out for BG check and snacks as needed. Also great ideas to patch over the transmitter and insertion sites so they stay in place in the ocean.

1 Like