TD1 One Month In

Hello, I am 52. I was diagnosed TD1 one month ago. From January to August, I lost 45 pounds with clean eating and light exercise. I went DKA and lost another 12 pounds which was a result of DKA. So gaining that weight back was fine.
My weight gain won’t stop. I have added another 8 pounds in three weeks. Getting diagnosed diabetic out of the blue was harsh. Seeing the fat increasing is awful. Blood sugar readings all over the map. I go from being afraid to eat to eating 2 pounds of chicken. Scared and frustrated and truly sad. Each day is a challenge and can’t wait to make it to bedtime. Is this insulin related? Am I trying to adjust from super high blood sugar to something lower? Never had been so frustrated and dread each day.

Hi @Lev316 and welcome to the forum. I hope you are working with an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes - the field covers a number of medical conditions and not all doctors with with diabetes: and of those, not all are familiar with Type1. Things will be challenging for a while but an experienced endo makes all the difference.
I’m not a medical professional but as you may know we must maintain a balance between insulin, food and exercise to manage our blood sugars - and our weight. It is challenging, perhaps especially at diagnosis when your body may occasionally and unpredictably produce some insulin you weren’t expecting, and you have to manage the resulting low. This is called the honeymoon period and there’s no telling how long it will last.
Have you had any diabetes education since your diagnosis? Many doctors work with a nurse educator who teaches patients about diabetes and how to manage on their own. The curve is steep but you will get there. Even more important than learning about the “theory” is diabetes, you will learn how to manage it in your own body: we’re all different and discover - sometimes they trial and error - what works, and what does not.
I commend you on your healthy lifestyle prior to diagnosis. I’m guessing when you binge on chicken it’s because you are trying to treat a low. When I was growing up insulin was called the fat hormone - I don’t know if that’s part of its “make up” but when we’re low we may want to eat everything in sight until we feel better - or we may see it as a chance to binge. That can result in rebound highs though, and it takes practice to learn not to over-do, and willpower to do it. Trust me, I speak from personal experience.
Again, I’m not a doctor so discuss this with yours, but liquids can start raising the numbers faster than solids. My go-to is juice (typically orange). But those won’t stay with you long so you need to follow up with something with “staying power.” If you have not met with a nutritionist make sure your doctor sets you up with one: in addition to suggestions for things to use to treat lows and keep the resulting numbers steady, they will help you learn to count carbs and work diabetes into the healthy lifestyle you enjoyed before.
I urge you to make sure you get diabetes training if you haven’t already. You will have lots of questions - write them down so your don’t forget. In addition I I highly recommend you check out the book Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. He has diabetes and works in the field so has a unique personal perspective that is particularly helpful.
I hope you have an endo who will work closely with you to help you learn to find that delicate balance - as best as any of us can. Of you’re not happy with the one you have, find another.

Thank you! I do have an endo but I might look for another one bc I have lots of questions and she is busy and prefers to get to the next appointment. I did meet with a diabetes educator today. And I go back in two weeks. So I feel a little better. I will say to see you reply so quickly was great bc it is a kinda lonely feeling right now

@Lev316 Hello James, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Community Forum!

Dori @wadawabbit has provided some wonderful thoughts for yu to consider, so I’ll not repeat much of what she offered but rather approach from a different angle. Know that for some PwD [Persons with Diabetes}, weight is a constant battle because very basically insulin is a growth hormone - both natural
insulin and manufactured insulin. Into my seventh decade using injected/infused insulin, I’ve experienced difficulty gaining and maintaining wanted weight. What you did NOT say in your post is anything about the relationship of a “healthy weight” for YOU; what do you imagine is your healthy weight, what weight do your doctor(s) think is healthy for you. For instance, what is your BMI? Aim for a BMI of less than 23.0.

One of the keys to long life, in my opinion, is moderation and this does not only apply to those of us living with diabetes. Rephrasing one of the keys that Dorie posted is maintaining a [very tricky] balance of foods we enjoy eating and exercise to keep our bodies working properly and use manufactured insulin to offset those two activities. And, I mean eat “normal”, every food you enjoy and not any starvation diet [I regularly consume 230-250 grams of carb daily and fully enjoy life.

1 Like

See an endocrinologist if you havent already and see if you can get on an insulin pump. Type 1 is easy to live a normal life if you get the proper care. Insulin is the only fix but you will have to learn to regulate it. New pumps with a sensor will almost regulate it for you.

I was diagnosed with T1d suddenly last Year —At age 65. I’ve never had diabetes of any kind and blood test readings were always normal until I was hospitalized with DKA. They suspect a virus attacked and killed the beta cells in my pancreas. It produces no insulin now.
I have an amazing, patient endocrinologist. I highly recommend you look elsewhere. She spends so much time with me and I never feel rushed. The hospital referred me to her after hospitalization.
This is a crazy journey and you need patient support. I am now on a Dexcom CGM and Omnipodpump. Managing is much easier for me now. I’ll be thinking of you