Replacement Dexcom G7

Hello to everyone. Our 13yo son was diagnosed in March of this year. He is non-verbal, autistic and has developmental delays. Due to his autism, he gets fixated on his G& sensor some times and like to pull them out. We’ve tried extra tape, long sleeves, etc., Has anyone ever had luck in getting their insurance company to provide more than 3 a month due to very special and unique circumstances?

Hi @coachfrank welcome to Breakthrough T1D. The key element in getting extra test strips, extra insulin, extra anything is the way the doctor writes the script. The only problem with sensors is they pretty much tell you they last 10 (for dexcom) days. I think it’ll be a hurdle to get a doctor to write “dispense 5” for a 30 day supply. I get more than 10 infusion sets per month and they last “up to 3 days “ so I suppose anything is possible. Good luck.

1 Like

@coachfrank Hi Frank, and welcome to and discuss what you shared with us Breakthrough T1D Forum!

I recognize the situation you are in. I suggest that you could contact your insurer [a supervisor or higher] and share what you shared with us; hopefully you may “hit” on an individual who can relate to what is happening and direct that the "
3 per month" limit be somewhat relaxed. If your insurance is through an employer who self-insures and hires a large insurer as “front man” for claim processing, contact the company Risk Manger.

Dexcom has a 3 per year replacement for “non-defective sensor” replacement, perhaps their policy could be relaxed for you - worth trying.

Good luck!

Hi coach, your circumstances are the most difficult I could possibly imagine. Constant monitoring is a must, especially when your son cannot communicate sensations feelings, and everything else. I have no way of truly understanding how you’re dealing with this. I did a little research and found there are glucose monitoring watches that do not require a sensor. It’s new technology and I googled it to see what was available. I copied and pasted the ad I saw. It might get you started on something that your son can wear that won’t be so easily torn off and you won’t be confined to a limit number . Constant monitoring is the only way I can see you’re having any hope of managing. Wish you the very best effort and I’m really proud of your love and affection You have for your son.

Just checking in here @coachfrank are you still with us?

You could ask your child’s doctor about a 6 month implantable sensor called “Eversence” and get all the information on it.

I am afraid there are new watch and “non-intrusive” blood sugar advertisements out there but none of them are currently suitable for managing T1 Diabetes. Good luck.

1 Like

Brainstorming here - what if you tried keeping the old sensor in place when you inserted the new one and moved the receiver (I think people found ways to do that with certain sensors but I don’t know which ones or how). If he’s fixated on a certain location that might buy you some time.

1 Like