Omnipod5 New Controller setup

I woke up Thursday morning and found my controller had died! Thankfully I had paid out of pocket for a spare so I had one on hand while I waited on the warranty replacement. Two things about Omnipod:
First - your settings are not stored online - you to keep them written downđŸ˜±. I couldn’t find mine so I had to get them from my doctor’s office - which would not open or a couple of hours. For some reason doctors offices have access to background settings that we do not - go figure.
In the meantime I had to do my best to recall them so I could run in manual mode - that turned out to be a good time to do a basal rate check though.
Second - I keyed in my Dexcom transmitter serial number, triple checked it, and proceeded to start a new pod - but the devices would not connect. I was going to have to re-key it, but to do that you must start a new pod. I really did not want to do that so stayed in manual mode until last night. So I suggest you make sure your transmitter connects before starting a pod - it’s supposed to take no longer than 20 minutes.
Just some tips.

All the best to everyone, whichever political party you belong to.

1 Like

The really positive take-away from this event for you, Dorie @wadawabbit, is that this happened when you were home and relaxed with plenty of time to re-invent what you should have been a simple process.

A good reminder for readers to have a simple back-up plan in place at ALL times - not only for solo travel around the world in a rowboat.

Tech is terrific but it’s good to remember to keep things simple. Thanks @Dennis. I hope you are cool and comfortable.

Dorie @wadawabbit, I respect the heat, and the dust from the Saraha cloud that dims our sky and began splitting my customary 4-6 mile walk into segments of about 2 miles eah.

Reading over what I previously posted, I should have sounded more positive and offered applause for you thinking ahead an stocking a second controller - and offered a “next-step”.

I always have handy a printed sheet with all my “settings” [including pump, CGM, activity, BP, etc.] and my reserve t-Slim is charged and programmed with three Profiles to fit whatever circumstance I find myself in. My, not currently used, G7 receiver is also kept programmed and charged. Never know if I may need to evacuate although during 25 years in “stormy” Florida I’ve been safe staying home during storms.

No worries Dennis - I always appreciate your feedback. Glad you are staying safe in the heat. Later!

1 Like

@wadawabbit Really sorry you went thru all that, but thanks so much for educating the rest of us, particularly those using the O5!

I’d like to add that my experience with both Insulet and Dexcom, at least when I’ve had a true breakdown and face the disruption of life, they have both overnighted the pieces I’ve needed. I doubt its been the same for everyone or every incident and hope it continues.